Jan's quilt finished.

Okay, I have had this quilt on the racks for a bit.  It's huge!  It is so beautiful though.  Jan did a beautiful job piecing this quilt top.  This is a pattern by Judy Martin and can be found in her book Stellar Quilts. I used a combo of 100% cotton and an 80/20 blend batting.  The top thread was Glide and the bobbin thread was So Fine.
Here is Jan's description of her quilt in her own words: 
I always loved Barbara Brackman's Morris Workshop line; it is as close as I have gotten to buying any civil war type of prints.  I have made two smaller quilts from this line, by then I ordered Judy Martin's book on Stellar Quilts and fell in love with this Capistrano design and felt the Morris Workshop would give me the look I wanted.  I had run out of a large majority of the original fat quarters and had to search and search for stores who still had a few pieces of this line still in stock.  Working as a full time teacher, I only had time on vacations to quilt so this is a quilt 3 years in the making (besides, it is huge).  I was so surprised how easily the quilt went together as I was so worried that the star borders would not fit, but the pattern was perfect and I couldn't have been more pleased. 

Thanks Jan! 

Jan asked for a little bit of feathering for the quilt and I decided to use my feather swirl for the filler design.  I love how it turned out.

I wanted to use diamonds in the wide open spaces to mimic the diamonds found throughout the design.
This is the center of the quilt and I wanted it to really be a focal point of the quilting design. 

These feather motifs are free motion quilted, I had the path figured out after the third triangle block I quilted.

I really love how these diamond block designs turned out.  It just gives it a great dimension.

So, a close up of the feather swirl motif.  It really was fun to quilt.

I quilted a double connecting curve in the diamonds and they give the quilting a soft look. 

I wanted the design of the points to be showcased, so I quilted a straight line1/4 inch away from the points.  Yes, I marked each line and used my straight ruler to make sure the lines were straight.

 The inside triangles were quilted differently than the outside triangles.  I really like how they turned out.


The points in this quilt are just amazing.


As I was taking pictures of the quilt I realized that I missed one triangle.  So frustrating!  But, it has been fixed.  It's always a pain to add a quilt back on the racks though. 

Thanks Jan for letting me work on your quilt.  It was really fun. 

Now on to the next project!

September 14, 2013 by Judi
Tags: Quilting
Older Post / Newer Post

Leave a comment